Re: Re: Still looking for info on St.Pete's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Rubin on April 08, 1999 at 14:33:35:

In Reply to: Re: Still looking for info on St.Pete's posted by John Swensen on April 07, 1999 at 18:03:01:

I got mine from TE and I think it's a fabulous horn, especially for the price. The lower register isn't just good, it is absolutely amazing. It is strong, clear and drak. Everyone who has heard me on this horn and on others (usually a YBB641) says that there is an incredible, noticeable difference. My valves were worked on over here by TE and they did a good job, they were quite slow at first but now they have broken in and are just fine. I find it to be much louder then other horns as opposed to John's opinion, even though it has a small bell, it has a huge bore (almost a 5/4).

I agree that it is a bit raw but with a little polishing it looks excellent. The only problems I have with it are that it turns grey (its nickel plated) after a couple days wherever I hold it, but I called TE and they sent me some cleaner that (to my amazement) took it right off. I'm going to have leather pads put on it soon anyways. From what I have heard, the metal is soft, so if you drop it, its gonna take serious damage (but I've never dropped it so I wouldn't know :) ). Also, it has a huge bottom brace that some people find unconfortable, I happen to slant it just enough anyways so it doesent bother me. Oh yeah, one other problem that probably hasen't happened to anyone else: they forgot to drill the hole for the spit valve (laugh it up), I don't know how, but they put the mechinism and socket in place but simpily didn't drill the hole. Oh well, it'll be cheap to fix :)

I suggest you try one before you decide, you may or may not like it. I hope this helps!

Phil

Follow Ups: