Re: Hello Mr. Rubin (Phil) Re: St. Petersburgs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Rubin on April 08, 1999 at 20:22:19:

In Reply to: Hello Mr. Rubin (Phil) Re: St. Petersburgs posted by Paul on April 08, 1999 at 16:52:18:

People think its really funny when I have to remove my main tuning slide just to empty my water :)

The original St. Petersburg tubas come with old-style clockwork valves and were in plain brass (no plating, no laquer). Both www.tuba.com (Die Tuba) and TE make some individual modifications. The valve modifications I was refering to are the normal ones that TE does along with nickel plating before selling the horn. Basically, they remove the old, slow valves and put nice new ones in. They are not the same valves at all, you can see pictures of the original horns and valves at www.tuba.com (I think). I'm not sure exactly who does these modification, just that they are done for TE before selling the horn.

If you live anywhere near TE (NC I think), I strongly suggest that you go there and try some horns, I must have tried 18 horns before choosing the St. Pete. If you get the St. Pete, be ready to wait a while, they are severely backlogged with St. Pete horns. You could try Die Tuba but they are out of nickel plated. Regardless, try the horn before you buy! Good Luck!

Phil

Follow Ups: