Re: Cerveny 681-5MR and 601-5MR vs. Miraphone 188-5V

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carl M. Jones on April 10, 1999 at 19:06:06:

In Reply to: Cerveny 681-5MR and 601-5MR vs. Miraphone 188-5V posted by Chris on April 09, 1999 at 20:46:32:

Dear Chris,

The large Cerveny is a nice horn if you actually need an extremely large tuba. Most of us are not playing in a large orchestra, and it really doesn't make much sense to buy a horn so large that it's impractical in almost every other situation. I have owned a Cerveny 681 and a Miraphone 188. I got rid of my cerveny because at loud dynamics (for band work, orchestra, etc.) I literally felt as if I could blow the bell off. Otherwise, the Cerveny was a very nice horn. The horn purchased to replace it was a Miraphone 188, because it could take the loud passages without breaking up, it responded well in every register, had a very even tone, and the metal did not dent as easily. Also, I felt as if one could modulate the tone quality easily to suit different ensembles with the same horn. Good luck finding the right horn for You. There is no substitute for trying them and making up your own mind. It has to be the right horn for YOU!
Carl

Follow Ups: