Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 681-5MR and 601-5MR vs. Miraphone 188-5V

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 11, 1999 at 00:20:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 681-5MR and 601-5MR vs. Miraphone 188-5V posted by John on April 10, 1999 at 18:24:11:

The tone of the 601 is very dark and rich with lots of fundamental. It is the kind of sound that you feel as well as hear. I find that I don't have to push this tuba hardly at all and it plays very loud. In fact, I was surprised reading an earlier post that stated that the Cervany breaks up at louder dynamics. Ironically, my experience is exactly the opposite. For me, the Mirafone won't take nearly the amount of volume I put into a tuba without breaking up and edging out. With the large bore of the Cervany and the large amount of expansion through the instrument (the bottom bow is VERY large), I find that the issue is never overblowing the instrument but rather how to survive while carrying phrases fully. Sometimes I feel like this tuba could suck the life right out of me, it can take so much. That's why I have to be exceptionally careful when I use it as the tendency for me is to blow like I'm playing my Rudy which has a little more resistance but never breaks up. If I'm not paying attention, I go for that same feeling on the Cervany and end up knocking down overhead lights.

The price of the 601 is why I tried it in the first place. Call me stubborn but I have a real problem paying the kind of money for a Meinl-Weston 2165 or a Yorkbrunner after having played those tubas. I haven't played a Nirschl yet but those other tubas are definitely no better than my 601 and it cost less than half the price of the others. As for the 686 and the 681, don't base your judgements on just the stats. My experience with Cervany is that the way they wrap the horn makes a big difference in how it plays. For example, the piggy and my 601 have the same bore (.835) but they don't play anything alike. My advice is to play the horns first, you might be very pleasantly surprised. I know I was and they continue to work very well for me. Good luck!

Follow Ups: