Re: Best way to remove laquer?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on April 14, 1999 at 15:38:22:

In Reply to: Best way to remove laquer? posted by Ned on April 13, 1999 at 23:05:40:

A week ago, I stripped an old Mirafone 186 with a bad case of "measles" in its lacquer finish. I used Jasco Speedomatic Paint Remover, a gel containing methylene chloride, applied with a china bristle brush (don't use synthetic bristles!). I let it sit for about 10 minutes then flushed the gunk off with lacquer thinner, wiping up carefully with a clean rag soaked in thinner.

You should do this outdoors and wear gloves that are made for furniture stripping; paint stripper will dissolve ordinary rubber gloves. Needless to say, you'll want to remove slides, valves, etc. before you start. Stripper can dissolve things like bumpers!

I finished up by a soaking the horn in a hot-water solution of CLR, followed by a thorough rinse, which took care of the corroded areas. I then buffed all surfaces using white rouge on a spiral-swen cotton wheel in a small right-angle grinder running at low (3000 RPM) speed, finishing with red rouge on a canton flannel wheel. You could also probably use Brasso, Simichrone or some other metal polish and shine the horn up without power tools, but I like the mirror finish a good color buffing gives.

Wear old clothes, use eye protection and when buffing, a filter mask. Work out of doors if possible or in an area with REALLY good ventilation--all of the nasties are extremely flammable and toxic and will kill your lawn. If you spatter any paint remover on your skin, wash it off immediately.

Total time was two afternoons. You'll need less than a quart each of stripper and lacquer thinner. The horn looks like a million bucks. I don't intend to re-lacquer it.

Follow Ups: