Re: Hello,Rob Perilli-Menitti,S. Chisolm Et. al. (mouthpieces)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on April 15, 1999 at 08:06:10:

In Reply to: Hello,Rob Perilli-Menitti,S. Chisolm Et. al. (mouthpieces) posted by Paul on April 14, 1999 at 19:28:36:

Dear Paul, Please don't take offense to my earlier response to sean's response. It is just that I never thought of it in the way sean mentioned it - likening it to a completely different medium. I often get annoyed with the ever increasing number of mouthpieces and equipment available, knowing there is no way for me to keep up with it all. i have been playing the same two mouthpieces for 14 years, and I really have no need to change or an intenetin to do so, since I am not a 5+ hours a day player. I do teach a lot of students however and I sometimes wish I knew more of the options available. I agree 100% with Rob's comments that there is a definite bigger is better attitude right now. Look at the message about F tubas; he hit the nail on the head. An F tuba is supposed to have a different sound from a CC that is the whole point, any way I digress.
I use smaller mouthpieces with my young students (often still in middle school) and i think mouthpieces like Bach 24AW are fine for that, with a fairly small rim diameter for small lips, but yet a big bowl for a full tone. I use Denis Wick mouthpieces (both pretty small #2 & 4)on my Bessons. I often recommend students use Helleburgs even though i do not use one myself. The smaller Conn Helleberg is a nice mouthpiece for a younger student also (and they seem to be made a little better than the Bachs). It is a pleasure to see Steve Dillon bringing back alot of the old mouthpiece designs and updating them a bit. It is just hard to keep track of all the new things out there. I have two friend who use old King 26's still and swear by them. There is a new mouthpiece for Dillon to remake! Anyway I hope this explains my short comment. Believe me I did not take offense to your question, and I did not mean any with my message. ken k

Follow Ups: