Nirschl York Model

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on April 20, 1999 at 07:25:50:

Joe S. added this inquiry to his response to the topic below about the "older Wm. Bell Tuba:"

"Steve, this is a new topic, and should probably be a fresh post, but: Is

there a gentleman in your town (maybe with the last name Robinson [? -

sorry]) that owns a Nirschl York model?"

Yes. His name is Ian Robinson. He is a fine tubist and works as a musical instrument technician at The Brass Bow in Arlington Heights, IL.

"If you know this gentleman and have played his instrument, would you comment as to the characteristics of its intonation, especially as compared to Hirsbrunner Yorks, Holton

Yorks, Meinl-Weston Yorks, and Gene's York-York ?"

I have not had the pleasure of playing Ian's Nirschl York model. But when he and I were among the students who played for Mr. Jacobs in AJ's last Master Class at Northwestern University last summer, I heard Ian use his Nirschl York horn as he played the "infamous" Fountains excerpt and the Meistersinger excerpt for the class. It sounded wonderful!

"I hear a lot of raves about this new instrument (as we heard about all of these others when they first came out) but no one ever seems to offer comments as to how

hard they have to work to keep these instruments in line."

Not having played the horn myself, I cannot comment. I hope that I'm not misquoting Ian, but I believe that he told me that Gene's York-York, which he has also tried, is easier to blow than the Nirschl copy.

"If it is as good as people say, and the reason that they are not talking about

these problems is because they don't exist on this horn, I may have to

pay Mr. Nirschl a visit someday fairly soon."

One reason why there isn't much talk about this horn may be that each one is custom ordered, hand made, with a long wait time. Another reason may be the price--more than a Yorkbrunner!

Nirschl does actually include Ian as a reference in their list of owners in their ads/webpage. That being the case, you can contact Ian at The Brass Bow: (847) 253-7552.

Follow Ups: