Re: PT-5 question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joshua Wirt on April 22, 1999 at 13:43:23:

In Reply to: PT-5 question posted by Marcus Bowers on April 22, 1999 at 13:33:04:

I recently started playing an older PT-5 (Cold War B&S) that I got from a guy who was no longer playing tuba. It has a few dings here and there....nothing major. I played a new PT-6 at both the Army conference and another at SERTEC and I think I made out like a bandit. My PT-5 plays just as good if not better than some of the new PT-6's.....I've only played two others. I spoke with Jeffrey Rideout from CMC and he gave me the low-down on the PT-5's. Basically, due to a production flaw, only a few of them turned out to be great horns.....the rest weren't that hot. The PT-6 is basically a PT-5 with a larger bell throat....I couldn't tell any difference in the wrap.....the bore is the same.

If you find a PT-5 that you like.....go for it. Personally, I think the PT-5/6 is the best ROTARY CC out there. But it depends on what you want. For me, it's great in wind ensemble, orchestra, tuba quartet, and my brass quintet.

That's my $.02

Josh

Follow Ups: