Re: Re: Rex Martin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on April 24, 1999 at 08:53:05:

In Reply to: Re: Rex Martin posted by Sean Chisham on April 23, 1999 at 18:24:43:

Sean's comments about Rex' teaching technique are true. There are other teachers who choose only to work on musicianship, i.e., interpretation of solos, excerpts, audition technique, etc. Rex does all that PLUS works hard on the elements of good playing (as Sean says, accuracy of rhythm, articulation, tone production, etc.) I, for one, am definitely benefitting from Rex' "drilling" in my lessons.

Once, when I felt guilty about using Rex' valuable lesson time playing long tones for him from Arban, Rex said that he ENJOYS teaching in this manner and that it's not a chore for him. Although he has been quite successful as a performer in concert and in the recording studio, he is one tubist who CHOOSES to teach because he ENJOYS teaching.

BTW, I mentioned on this BBS a few months ago a concert that is coming very soon: Rex is playing the Vaughan Williams Concerto with the Ars Viva Symphony Orchestra conducted by Alan Heatherington on Sunday, May 23, at 7:00 p.m. at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts in Skokie, IL. The Ars Viva Orchestra consists of members of CSO, Lyric Opera of Chicago Orchestra, and fine freelancers from the Chicago area.

Follow Ups: