Re: "Other" quintet tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by gary on April 25, 1999 at 12:17:47:

In Reply to: "Other" quintet tubas? posted by Leland on April 23, 1999 at 15:08:25:

Very interesting points to contemplate. My thoughts are that a smaller horn works best. There is a certain nimble quality to smaller tubas that, while technical passages can be negotiated, does not come across on a bigger tuba. A small horn CAN sound very big in a quintet. Just listen to Ray Stewart on his Conn 3J in Meridian Arts Ensemble. Who needs more sound than what he puts out?

Also, if you haven't already heard them, pick up the 3 STockholm Chamber Brass CDs that are available. Lennart Nord makes a REAL strong case for using an F tuba in quintet (he used a Hirsbrunner F on these recordings). Incredible playing.

I agree that the group has to decide what kind of sound it wants, but regardless of what horn you play in a quintet, you need to feel comfortable with it.

I too have battled between using my Perantucci Lg. Bore F or my Rudy Meinl 5/4...Ideally, I'd like to get a Rudy 3/4 when the budget will allow for that!

Try different horns in the group, get feedback and record the group. Good luck.

Follow Ups: