Re: Tonguing Faster

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Antisocial Practice room Dweller on April 01, 2001 at 07:50:52:

In Reply to: Tonguing Faster posted by Matt A. on April 01, 2001 at 00:48:37:

Try the Arban's major scale studies. Start at about 88-92 (or whatever a comfortable range for you is) and increase your metronome setting a little bit at a time. Shoot for 120. This is a good place to start. Always use your metronome!
In the Arban's, you might also want to try the etudes that start with #16 (I believe) in the general etudes section. (The first etude starts out with a pattern consisting of an eighth and two sixteenths, in 2-4 time.) These will also help, but be careful to be very accurate rhythmically and not rush or drag the sixteenths. Also, perhaps work on the Double / Triple tongue etudes in Arban at a single tongue speed.
Also I have tried this: play your scales on various articulation patterns utilizing sixteenth notes. Again, use your metronome and increase often once you get comfortable.
Remember too, air is essential! Your tongue doesn't move very much in all actuality, but that air is crucial to propelling it. Articulate without the mouthpiece, practice just "tonguing" on the airstream. It's great if you can feel a steady stream of air on your hand while doing so. Believe it or not, this exercise made a difference for my "slow tongue!"
Hope something here is new to you! It's a trying process to improve this aspect of your technique. Good luck and be patient! It will happen! Just remember the two essentials are air and a metronome!!!!

Follow Ups: