Re: Constant Pitch Center?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike F. on April 02, 2001 at 15:12:02:

In Reply to: Constant Pitch Center? posted by Matt G on April 02, 2001 at 14:07:27:

I can not address the price issue, but I have noticed something about heavy mouthpieces in general which may be what Mr. Monette refers to as "constant pitch center". Notes "slot" very well, which can be very helpful for the student without a fully developed embouchure, but it can also be quite vexing to the experienced tubist who is accustomed to lipping various notes into tune. I beleive your extra slide pulling is evidence of that. The open bore allows you a little "wiggle room", but the extra mass really centers the pitch and amplifies the tuba's intonation tendencies. If a tuba is fairly well in tune with itself, as some are, the heavy mouthpiece will allow you to take full advantage of that. If the tuba has some quirks, as many do, then slide pulling will be required. Personally I'd rather pull a few slides and maintain a steady embouchure, knowing that the equipment will perform for me without me having to perform contortions with my lips!
This is in no way an endorsement of Mr. Monette's product, there are plenty of those on the Monette web-site.
As to other manufacturers copying him, there are a number of other heavy mouthpieces available. I myself am currently developing a line of heavy tuba mouthpieces, the prototypes were shipped last week to several prominent tubists. I will post more information here when the results are in, and when they are available to the general public.
Mike Finn
MikeFinnMouthpieces.com
(coming soon...)

Follow Ups: