Re: F Tuba Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by F Tubist on April 02, 2001 at 21:45:53:

In Reply to: F Tuba Questions posted by Brian Badgley on April 02, 2001 at 18:12:15:

I recently passed through South Bend, and with the kind assistance of Mike Russo, was able to play on various makes and models of F tubas (I play F as my main horn). Here are my observations of the horns you listed, for what they're worth:

1. Yamaha 621. I didn't play one at the Brasswind, but I'm looking to buy one and have played on several recently. Very even sound through all registers. A small sound, but projects well, and very fun to play. Some people can make these work in any situation. I heard Ross Tolbert play a 621 for all of Petruschka with the Minnesota Orchestra recently, and I didn't miss the sound of a big tuba throughout the whole piece. The bear solo was great. Beware of Carpal Tunnel with the angle of the valves.

2. Meinl-Weston 45slp. Every time I've played one of these, I've liked the big sound but I can't get past the poor response of the low D, Db and C. This horn was very comfortable to hold and play.

3.Mirafone 181. Very nice sound, and easy to play. Typical German low D, Db and C. I didn't notice the spatulas being particularly close, but if you like this horn, a competent repairman could probably spread them out slightly for you.

4. Yamaha 822. Great low register, easy to play up high, too. Sounds like a small CC. 4th space G tends to be VERY flat on these horns. I have owned one for 7 years, and I must say that the valves on Yamahas can be EXTREMELY problematic (as has been discussed here many times). Mine seem to have settled down with several lappings, much cursing, and switching to Blue Juice. The sound is not as interesting as a German F, but for the things I use it for, I'll trade that for a great low C.

5. Rudy Meinl F. A big horn, as big as the 45slp. Out of all the ones I played, this was by far my favorite sound. REALLY singing in the upper register. Low notes were squirrelly, (by 822 standards) but not as bad as the MW or the Mirafone. A well made, beautiful instrument.

Another instrument I liked was the Yamaha compensating Eb with the small bell (17 1/2 in.) A really solid, even sound in all registers, and in the opinion of the person listening to me play it, a clearer, nicer sound than the larger belled Yamaha Eb or the Besson 983. Also, I didn't notice any stuffiness down low, which some here have complained about on Bessons.

Good luck with your search.

Follow Ups: