Re: small cars that carry large tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on April 03, 2001 at 08:05:46:

In Reply to: small cars that carry large tubas posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 02, 2001 at 23:31:03:

Hey Ken,
I enjoyed the memory lane quality of your post so let me give you my history if it matters and a suggestion for a new car. My first car was a 72 Honda sports coupe and it barely fit two people let alone a tuba. I use to bungie cord the case of a sousaphone or an old besson BBb to the roof. Not advisable on long trips. My oldest brother is a mechanic and he was rebuilding a 57 Chevy Nomad Staion wagon back then and I would say that a fully restored Nomad could handle what ever tuba you through it but price would be an issue. After I rolled the sports coupe in my High School parking lot during the Blizzard of 78 in Massachusettes I decided to get something bigger. My brother got hold of a 69 Olds Cutlass 4 door with a straight six for me and I drove this beast from North Carolina to DC to Pa and to Mass on a regualr basis. I use to make week end trips to Reading Pa in it from DC for a few years and it was a really smooth ride but took regular gas. When I got out of the service I sold the cutlass to my youngest brother for $1.00 and he drove it for 5 more years. My wife had a Honda CRX HF and that was the ultimate for two person and tuba stuff. It was really fun to drive and got great gas milage and the back deck could handle a Horn a cooler full of food and brew and the camp out essentials. I had a Ford Fiesta for a while at the same time as the Honda but it could barely handle people well so we sold it and bought the car I still drive today which is the ever popular VW Fox Gl wagon. It does what it needs too and can carry four people in comfort and my Mirafone fits perfectly in the back in a gig bag. It was new in 88 and it is gettin close to switching horses again. We sold the Honda in 96 and got a Dodge Stratus ES but it is just a run of the mill family sedan. I have taken it to Florida and Mass but it proved not much fun to drive. We are looking into the Subaru Forester, the Honda Odessey and the VW Passat sedan or wagon. The Subaru is great for everything but the back is a little tight for a horn unless you keep the passanger seat down and drive it as a two seater. I like the Honda but the price is way out of wack. The Passat sedan is a great choice but adding on the options would put the price over the edge the wagon version would also be a good choice but we would have to get a used one to keep it affordable. My picks would be the Passat Wagon or sedan first then the Honda oddessey then the Subaru. Of course we will probably end up with the Subaru due to price. Hope this helps or at the least makes ya laugh!
Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: