Re: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on April 05, 2001 at 13:40:54:

In Reply to: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia posted by curious on April 03, 2001 at 11:59:26:

After reading the many negative posts against the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia fraternity, I would like to share a few of my views.
1) Many people speak of tis as being nothing more than "buying" a social life or friends in general. I thought this initially, however I saw what the fraternity was trying to do for the school and how proud people were of the fraternity when they would have public functions. It is not buying freindship, the money is to sustain the organization which is to create brotherhood, a totally different thing. One does not equal the other.
2) The Brotherhood, if the members are in the best interest of the fraternity, are helping to give back to the school in some way. Whether it be fundraisers for new equipment, public concerts, repairing/maintaining school property, helping Kappa Kappa Psi or any other service groups with their duties, etc. You can't do that very easily as an individual, there is strength in numbers.
I came from a brotherhood of 50+ brothers at one time and I feel that my money did not go to waste. We tried to enrich not only our own college experience but others within the Music Department. I know some schools may not have the but organization, but do not knock the whole group because it is easy. We try to be somewhat shrouded in secrecy (sp?) just to make being a member unique to members only (not just "the grip") and to keep our own identity. Although all representatives of our orginization may not put PMA in the best light, every orginization that exists has it's weak links. SO, when a guy is just trying to find out who on a BBS is a member of a group, there is no need to attack because of you own experiences or lack thereof. Just remember what your Grandma told ya: "If you can't say somthing nice, don't say anything at all."
Matt G

Follow Ups: