Re: How do you remove laquer?..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on April 05, 2001 at 23:42:58:

In Reply to: How do you remove laquer?.. posted by Matt C. on April 05, 2001 at 23:06:34:

You ready for some REALLY nasty stuff?

This one has come up several times before. I'm assuming that you have air-dry lacquer and NOT epoxy. Epoxy (see below) requires hot lye.

Save the job for a time when you can do it out of doors. Get some gloves, eye protection, and a plastic tarp. You'll need about a quart can of methylene chloride-based semipaste paint stripper (Jasco is good brand) and a cheap china bristle paint brush. Using appropriate eye and skin protection (long sleeved shirt, gloves, heavy pants), brush on the semipaste stripper. Let it sit (out of the sun!) on the horn for 15-30 minutes. Flush with very hot water, using a plastic kitchen scrubbing pad to remove stubborn patches. Dispose of the water in accordance with local hazmat ordinances ('Don't flush it down a storm sewer!). Takes less than an hour, but the stripper is really nasty stuff. If you get any on your skin, wash it off immediately. Don't even attempt the job without eye protection.

I've tried the "safe" strippers like 3M SafeStrip, but they don't work on nitrocellulose (air dry) lacquer, at least not for me.

If you've got a really old horn with flaking lacquer, sometimes plain old very hot scalding water will do a decent job without the stripper. Hook a rubber (not plastic) garden hose to the draincock of your home water heater and let 'er rip.

Chuck "Don't say you learned about this from me" Guzis

Follow Ups: