Re: Tonguing Technique....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on April 06, 2001 at 22:12:01:

In Reply to: Tonguing Technique.... posted by Anthony Labelle on April 05, 2001 at 22:45:10:

OK. Let me have a crack at this. I think I was recently shown this same technique by the same person,
and it seems to work for me.

To really explain how I do this, I need to go into a little bit of linguistics.

For many consonant sounds that we make, we can make another consonant sound simply by vocalizing
the with our vocal chords. For instance, the physiological process of producing a "t" is exactly the same
as that of producing a "d", except that for the "d" the vocal chords are actuated, and that causes tension.
In the case of the "t", there is no vocalization-the sound is simply the release of the air that has been
slightly built up behind the tongue. (I should note that I am speaking in pure diction terms-most people
when making the "t" sound use the very tip of their tongue and release the air a little quicker. But the
physical action of the tongue should be identical.) The same process happens with "g" (as in gun) and "k".
The "g" is vocalized, and the "k" is not. Also "b" and "p", "v" and "f", "z" and "s".

Since you are not using any kind of vocalized consonant as your primary articulation, you should probably
stay away from a vocalized secondary articulation ("g") and go with the "k". I would isolate the "k" consonant
and work it alone for speed. Say the "k" a few times, and make sure there isn't any vocalization with it; just release the air like you do with the primary articulation. The nice thing about this is that you can practice it anywhere you want; a horn isn't always required. While you're driving, try to articulate a "k" sound, 16th
notes at mm=80. Play your scale exercises using a "k" articulation on each note, maybe work up to some
Tyrell etudes using only the "k" articulation, until you are comfortable with it. Once you get the feel of getting
a good clean attack with the "k", start to slowly combine the two articulations. Also, make sure that your "k" happens far enough back in your mouth. With the "traditional "tu-ku' or "du-gu", the secondary articulation
can happen about where the soft palate and hard palate meet. The way that we're talking about here, for me,
the "k" has to happen farther back towards the throat, nearer to the "middle" of the soft palate. Once you
feel it, it's a very natural movement; more so to me than the "traditional" method.

The whole thing is, of course, dependent upon a rock-steady airstream, and a lot of patience.

That's my approach, FWIW.

Steve "it takes awhile" Dedman

Follow Ups: