Re: Re: Re: Re: case lock?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 09, 2001 at 11:06:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: case lock? posted by Joe S. on April 06, 2001 at 21:25:40:

Joe, this works fine for the gig up the road that's just far enough to be worth flying. Greyhound can get there in a day.

I remember when the TubaMeisters came up here from Texas to play in Maryland. Greyhound would take four or five days to move the freight, and Amtrak three each way. That's not always a practical alternative.

And as for my triathlete buddies, most of them have had their worst horror stories going to Ironman Canada. They have UPS'd their bikes to the local bike shop, and had them badly damaged or even held up by customs. Amtrak or Greyhound isn't an option. And the airlines destroy bicycles even more routinely than they destroy tubas. Many folks are now flying to Spokane (from 2500 miles away), renting a car, and driving to the race site in Penticton, with nary a second glance from the border guard. But they still have to get the bike to Spokane.

It's getting really hard to meet travel requirements with wheeled transport, and the airlines are not behaving responsibly with their customers' property. They scoff at that responsibility, put their customers through torture as a test of endurance before getting demages even partly reimbursed, and they get away with it. I'm saying that it won't last forever before a group will come along with the right Washington connections to get the problem "solved," in ways far less good than the airlines just deciding the take of their customers' belongings. I don't know who that group is, but I wish them well.

Rick "it won't be either tuba players or bike riders, heh, heh." Denney

Follow Ups: