Re: Honor Band of America

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by done that... on April 09, 2001 at 18:47:40:

In Reply to: Honor Band of America posted by Graham Keith on April 09, 2001 at 18:32:04:

Being someone who fell into this trap in high school... the audition is a formality, to make it seem more professional... it's basically first-come-first-serve. It's a glorified marching band. It IS sponsored by some very well respected musicians, but you will not interact much with them on your "tour". Are you one of those you really likes to march? Well, all you'll get to do is parades. You will have fun, yes... you will see some pretty sites, yes. What you won't do, is benefit from it musically. You'll get up at 5am to stretch and march a few miles with a sousaphone, that's the extent of the musical aspect. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it... I still enjoyed it when I was in high school, but looking back, there's SO MUCH more I could have done. Check out the "Ambassadors of Music" program... most states have one, if your's doesn't, check the state next door... it's the same sort of deal, but you'll tour with a small wind ensemble, orchestra or choir, have some inspiring rehearsals, maybe even learn a bit, AND get to see all those pretty sites.

On another note, for the same price, you can put a small quintet together and tour Europe. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do...

Follow Ups: