Re: BIG PROBLEM, NEED YOUR HELP!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on April 09, 2001 at 19:17:18:

In Reply to: BIG PROBLEM, NEED YOUR HELP! posted by Graham Keith on April 09, 2001 at 18:23:45:

Graham Keith,
My only suggestion for a piece is one that you like. If you don't enjoy the piece the band will not enjoy the piece either.
Now, I would like to give you some free conducting advice. Most of this is stuff that I have learned the hard way. Take some time to conduct patterns against a wall that has a visible block pattern. Or take some tape and make a box within which you should try conducting patterns. Do this with a metronome at various speeds and stop when you feel your grip on sanity loosening. If you can do this, than a band will have less of a chance of throwing you off.
Never be afraid in front of the band. I know this sounds weird but the minute you are afraid or unsure, the ensemble will know it and the rehearsal is over. It takes a lot of work to get them back on your page.
Always have a set idea of what you want to get done with the rehearsal. If it helps, write things out with approximate times, I would suggest this in the beggining. This will keep you on task and allow you to be more productive.
Really take the time to get to know the piece. Analyze the structure and form of the piece. This way if a kid feels like busting your balls you can tell him exactly why he plays a C# on the 3rd beat of the 4th measure of the piece. Also this will help to dictate what needs to be worked on and how to best put together a piece of music. Trust me that this procedure will take a lot of time but knowing the difficult parts and how to work them will save you time.
If you get the honor of conducting your band, try to learn something about each instrument. Nothing is worse than a 9th grade clarinet who asks you how to finger that C# in measure 4. Try to learn the tendency tones of each instrument too. This way you know that the F Horns are almost always out of tune, sorry Farah, and the Flutes tend to play sharp in the upper register and flat in the lower register.
Also talk to your conductor and ask him for some advice. You never know, they might love to have some one to talk shop with. Or if any of this helps, I humbly offer my limited advice. If any of this helps you and saves you time, than I am truly happy that I could spare some one what I went through at the beggining of conducting class and my student teaching.
Best of luck,
Henry "I am not checking my grammer so I can write lesson plans" Gertcher

Follow Ups: