Re: BBb vs. CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin H. on April 10, 2001 at 22:58:12:

In Reply to: BBb vs. CC posted by Brant on April 10, 2001 at 18:30:46:

A better question would be this- Are there any advantages to playing a BBb horn? The only advantage I see is that you don't have to learn new fingerings. It is not that hard. My CC got messed up on our way to state festival, oh, about a week ago....I had to play BBb for two whole days in band. The fingering was no problem, but it reminded me just how much I hate BBb. You imagine that you're blowing through FEET less of pipe on every note that is fingered open or 2nd valve on CC, and everything else is the same amount of piping. On a pedal c, which is open on CC tubas, you're blowing through about half as much pipe as you would on a BBb, about the same applies to the pedal B. I know I'm stirring up contreversy here, but, in my oppinion, an instant way to turn a good player into a great player is to put them on CC. The top 3 playrs in my state at all state play CC's. So, yeah, it ain't hard to switch. My dad did it after playing BBb for 30 years, and you can do it to. Sorry, I wan't trying to get snappy here, don't take that the wrong way. Anyway, yes, the advantages of playing CC over BBb are endless. Go ahead BBb lovers, bash away.

My "two cents"

Austin

Follow Ups: