Re: Stereo equipment poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 13, 2001 at 11:01:36:

In Reply to: Stereo equipment poll posted by David M. on April 13, 2001 at 02:04:01:

My Main Stereo comprises a pair of Linn Index+ loudspeakers, a Carver amplifier, Onkyo preamplifier and a Magnavox CDB-650 CD player. Phillips was showing off with that Maggot-box player, and it holds up well against newer competition even after ten years.

The sound of this system is superb. I listen to it about once every six months, cuz it's in the wrong room now that I'm married. Maybe I'll add a Sony mini-disc player and move it into the basement, to which my tuba has been banished. It's the preferred system for keeping up with me when I play excerpts along with recordings. The Carver amp is okay, but I miss my old Spectro-Acoustics boat anchor amp that finally had so many leaky capacitors that it wasn't worth fixing.

The system that gets used all the time has a Sony six-channel surround-sound amplifier with truly ancient and wonderful Advent loudspeakers in the front and Polk Audio speakers in the rear. It does okay, and my mind fills in the blanks. I'm not as picky as I used to be.

My car system is whatever Subaru provided, and I'm glad that includes a 6-CD changer. It does about as well as can be expected given the high ambient noise of the car environment. I no longer listen to music at levels guaranteed to cause deafness, and that lets out stuff that can't compete with the wind over my bike racks.

I also have a system for the electronic keyboards, 'cuz that stuff is in a different room (close to the computers). That stuff includes a Samson 250-watt commercial amplifier and a pair of Alesis near-field studio monitors. That system plays tuba music more accurately than any of the others.

Rick "who has a friend in the business and has done the same sort of horse-trading as Brian" Denney

Follow Ups: