Re: Stereo equipment poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on April 14, 2001 at 08:56:20:

In Reply to: Stereo equipment poll posted by David M. on April 13, 2001 at 02:04:01:

I'm amazed at the activity on this thread! Good topic David!

With the exception of Sean et al citing headphones, and one other guy who only touched on the topic, I'm amazed that folks aren't considering perhaps one of the MOST important components in the stereo system: The Room and its acoustics.

Numerous tests have proven that even in the BEST listening environments, the room has far more impact upon frequency response, etc.etc. than ANY component in the system, not to mention all those subjective qualities ("smooth, tight, smeared, ...whatever").

The only other component that rivals the impact of the room is the speakers. Yes, the other stuff counts too, just less so. Kinda like practicing versus what valve oil you use.

I cringe when I see (or hear) a mega-bucks system installed as much for looks and prestige than listening, with speakers parked in cavities in a big "custom" entertainment center, or in a cavernous living room with loud, muddy acoustics. Check out those glossies in the magazines & catalogs.

FWIW: Definitive Technology BP-8's or Bose 901-VI placed correctly, Adcom Preamp & Tuner, Pair of Rotel RMB-100 Monobloc amps, Technics carousel CD, and a 23.29' x 12.87' x 7.25' room with calculated acoustic treatment ongoing. Also have an Adcom Amp in its carton, currently being used to hold Tuba books off the floor (any takers?)

Kind regards,

Mark "if you think the amp is more important than the room, you should try green marker on the rim of your tuba bell, or a set of 'tip-toes' under your music stand" Mazak

Follow Ups: