Re: Choosing a BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on April 15, 2001 at 15:03:27:

In Reply to: Choosing a BBb posted by Helene Kaplan on April 14, 2001 at 14:43:48:

I think that you are correct about choosing a 3/4 size BBb tuba, but I suggest trying one out before buying anything. Even smaller tubas sometimes have leadpipes placed uncomfortably high for shorter players. Of course this can be overcome by using a tuba stand, like the DEG or K&M tuba rests. You also need to decide if you prefer front action or top action valves. I generally find front action to be more comfortable, but it can be a bit of a reach on some tubas for players with shorter arms. Again, the best thing to do is to go somewhere with a bit of a selection and try some out. Check the shops page on this BBS for a list of some of the places to check.

I believe that a used horn is generally a better option for someone just getting back into playing. You will spend less and if you decide to sell and upgrade you will get a larger percentage of your investment back than with a new horn. I would also suggest trying to get a 4 valve horn if you can afford it. The extra range and intonation improvement will help with most band music.

I have played a Jupiter 582 tuba, which is their full sized, 4-valve, BBb horn, and found it to be a nice playing tuba with a nice sound. The quality of it appeared decent also. I haven't tried their smaller horns, but have heard that they are also OK, but only available in 3 valve, top action.

Other good 3/4 sized horns to consider would be the King 1135 (3 valve front action), King 1140 (3 valve top action), Yamaha 105 (3 valve top action), or Yamaha 103 (3 valve front action). The 103 is no longer made, but you may be able to find a used one. For a 3/4 size, 4 valve horn, the Yamaha YBB-621 is a good choice, but very expensive, unless you find a buy on a used one. The Weril 680 is essentially a copy of the Yamaha 621. I have played one only briefly and it plays like most of these small bore 3/4 sized horns seem to, which is to say that you really need to back off on the low end to make it speak, but the range and volume are there with practice. I can't speak for reliability of these, but there has been a lot of discussion about them on this board, check the archives. At around $1700 new in lacquer, this seems like a good choice for someone on a budget looking for a 4 valve horn.

Follow Ups: