Re: Yamaha 621 F - tuba. Opinions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 16, 2001 at 14:06:55:

In Reply to: Yamaha 621 F - tuba. Opinions? posted by Samuli Rask on April 16, 2001 at 12:31:28:

I must be wierd, because I've never had much problem with the position of the valves on my 621 F tuba. The angled layout of the valves on my York is a bit more of a problem for me, because I have a hard time reaching the fourth valve despite my rather enormous hands.

If you learn to hold the 621 more vertically, ala Don Butterfield, then the hand lays on the valves with lest cock of the wrist. Lee Hipp used to play his 621 using a stand whenever possible, though I put the horn on my lap (I do use a stand for the big horns, however).

Where I've had problems with mine is in what to do with the left arm. The horn is not balanced well enough to rest the hand on the top of the horn as you might a contrabass, and I keep my left hand on the off-side outer branches about even with the valves. This is fine while seated. But it will tire out your left arm in a hurry if you are standing. I made a harness for standing gigs (which was most of my gigs using this horn), which left my left hand free to do whatever needed to be done. I even used by left hand to work the valves from time to time so I could do things like shaking hands with audience members as we strolled through beer-tent crowds.

Kelly O'Bryant had Dillons mount a large ring on the first valve slide, with a spring-loaded centering device. Withs your left hand in the optimal left-side support position, an extended forefinger could manipulate the top of the ring with ease. It was a good setup.

Rick "who never played enough to get Carpel Tunnel Syndrome" Denney

Follow Ups: