Re: How good were you?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl Parks on April 16, 2001 at 17:28:25:

In Reply to: How good were you? posted by Kevin on April 15, 2001 at 18:50:07:

Kevin:

You raise some interesting questions. I have no advise except to follow your passion as it exists now. You already are planning to study with a person that is well respected. Allow him to work with you and let him help you make a descision between performance, music ed or other profession. If after a year your passion toward performance is dwindling, then make a change. You do not have to make the decision now.

Your background info and questions reminded of a question that I have had for a while. I graduated from high school in 1969 and attended college. While tuba was my major instrument, I graduated with a music ed degree. I never considered myself good enough to play professionally. Yet in the state music festivals I played in, I consistently was awarded first chair during my senior year. Upon graduation I entered the business world instead of music. From listening to comments from tuba players on this forum and from TubaEuph, I get the impression that high schools, generally speaking, are putting out much more talented musicians than when I went to school. This appears to be in contrast to the view or perhaps in spite of the fact that the public school systems are not placing the emphasis on the arts.

Anyone care to comment if they believe the quality of musicians entering college today appear to generally be higher than 10, 20, or gasp 30 years ago??

Karl Parks
Orlando, FL

Follow Ups: