Re: How much I pay for it w/o getting ripped

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on April 16, 2001 at 19:24:01:

In Reply to: How much I pay for it w/o getting ripped posted by dan mullins on April 16, 2001 at 18:18:01:

Hi Dan,

Please, please don't buy a Besson 765 for 3K. You can get a brand new one from the Brasswind for less than $1700. Or at least you could last year. And you can have up to three sent to you at one time so you can pick and compare.

If you've got $3k to spend, there is a brand new Yamaha 642S on ebay. This is a fully compensating euphonium, and it looks like the seller will take around $3K for it, and that is a great deal.

People were arguing for and against the Yamaha v. the Besson, it is all a matter of personal preference. The Yamaha has better intonation, but the standard, stock version has a smaller sound because of the small shank receiver. The Besson has a much bigger sound and is much easier to play FOR ME because it has the 4th valve on the side. Intonation is not the strong suit of the 765. Another horn to consider is the Weril. It has a big sound like the Besson with improved intonation. But it has 4 valves on top.

You pay yer money, and takes yer chances!

Good luck,
Scott

Follow Ups: