Re: Re: Re: Comments on Hirsbrunner F Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on April 20, 2001 at 13:36:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Comments on Hirsbrunner F Tubas posted by Philip on April 20, 2001 at 09:39:23:

I started out using a Tilz 9 on my Hirsbrunner F. It was great for that horn, the medium bore. Then I switched to the Bobo solo and it worked even better for me. My sound is more stable, more centered and articulation is much clearer.

The large bore F sound is a much bigger, darker sound and you can play really loud on it, but the medium bore has a really nice shimmer to it that the larger bore just doesn't have. As Mark said above, the response is really nice, top to bottom and the sound is gorgeous. It sounds great in solo and quintet. Anne-Jelle Visser uses his in the Zurich Opera and the director and trombone section love it.

The worst spots for intonation are the G up to the Bb at the top of the staff. G, A and Ab are pretty flat and Bb is really sharp. Intonation in the low register is not a problem with the 2-step fifth valve. Peter Hirsbrunner cut the slide to just the right length and made a trigger with the right amount of throw to play all the low stuff in tune.

Bottom line...it's a great horn! Well worth whatever you may spend on it!

Happy playing!

Steve Oberheu

Follow Ups: