Re: Eb or F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on April 23, 2001 at 20:12:18:

In Reply to: Eb or F posted by curious on April 23, 2001 at 19:41:34:

It probably depends more on the specific choice of tuba, rather than the key. For example, a Besson 983 Eb (.689 bore, 17 in. bell) probably sounds similar (but probably not quite as "big") as a Yamaha YFB-822. The Willson F tuba sounds very big, and might be mistaken for a modest CC tuba by a blindfolded listener. The Willson Eb tuba also has a very large sound, with similar results for the listener.

I actually find it slightly easier to play the high F on my Besson 983 Eb than I do on a Yamaha YFB-621 3/4 size F tuba, when using the same mpc on each. (F above middle C) The YFB-621 has more of a compact (smaller) sound than any other tuba I've played EXCEPT the 3/4 size Besson Eb tuba (student model 2-20, "better" model 777). So, the smallest, most euph-like tuba I've ever played is a 3/4 Eb, not a small F.

Most of the Eb tubas use a compensating system for low register intonation, rather than an added 5th valve. (Most, not all.) The result is added air resistance that is difficult for some to adapt to (me, for example). But most of the German F tuba designs have a rather unique playing characteristic centered aroud low C (2 ledger lines below the staff), where playing this note and one or two on either side is rather like playing the note on a non-German F tuba with the main spit valve held open.

Many folks claim that with practice the compensating Eb low register, and the weenie-notes on the German F tubas can be dealt with. Perhaps so, but my philosophy is to find a tuba that you don't have to struggle with to get the results you want (so long as you can get the sound you're looking for). For an Eb tuba, this would be the Willson, or maybe the mythical Rudy Meinl 5/4 Eb, and maybe the Gronitz Eb. For the F tuba, this might include the Willson F, the Yamaha YFB-822 or YFB-621. However, if you want the noble, German F tuba sound, you'll have to buy a German F tuba, and learn to deal with the "problem" notes. Players who have mastered this type of instrument make these notes sound wonderful, so it is possible.

Once you decide you want a bass tuba (in addition to, or to replace a contrabass tuba), you'll have to play several, and make up your mind which particular *tuba* fits your needs best.

Happy hunting,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: