Re: Re: Re: tips from military band members?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DZ on April 23, 2001 at 21:12:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: tips from military band members? posted by Mike Forbes on April 23, 2001 at 18:44:59:

Interesting take, Mike.

I was never afforded the opportunity to take an audition like you did, so I can't comment on what magic is required to ascend to the Concert Band. I will agree with you that there may be a different mentality required to be a section player, but I would disagree on the idea of dumming down your musicianship in order to win any type of position. To do so would be artistic castration. What makes you a great artist is YOUR ideas, YOUR story, and YOUR voice. If they aren't buying that on the day of the audition, c'est la vie. But, if you can look at yourself in the mirror (or the tape recorder) and like what you see and/or hear, don't compromise your standards.

What is important to remember, is that every committee has an idea of what it is that they want to hear. All we can do is play to please ourselves and to be true to our artistic vision. Perserverence and patience are our friends...

Paraphrasing Thomas Edison, "He who has never failed has never tried."

Give my best to the gang!
Dave

Follow Ups: