Re: Brass Instrument Doubling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on April 24, 2001 at 11:16:16:

In Reply to: Brass Instrument Doubling posted by Tim Zimmerman on April 24, 2001 at 10:54:34:

It's difficult to do double well. I started playing euph a year and a half ago, and I'm only just now starting to feel that I could bring either to a gig and expect to sound good, instead of a tuba player playing euph, or vice versa. My biggest problem was not getting used to the embouchure, air, fingering, or response difference between the two horns, but getting my embouchure to be flexible enough to be able to adjust to the rim difference in a normal amount of warm-up time. (I do use a large tuba mouthpiece with a medium-sized euph mpc, which in the short run was part of the problem). I played trumpet in high school, and I can say with reasonable certainty that it would take me years of practice on both to be able to do both well because of the embouchure difference.

Keep in mind, I want to be a professional one day. It is quite possible to play both tuba and trumpet at an amateur level. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a professional gig on either.

Scott

Follow Ups: