Re: Re: Re: Work vs. Talent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on April 26, 2001 at 10:27:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Work vs. Talent posted by Joe S. on April 25, 2001 at 23:43:00:

I don't know many of these posters, but I agree with all of them in the core of their advise. A person does hit a time when they seem to stay on a level, no matter how much practice is involved. They then either give up, or they advance to a higher level in time.

Time management was my problem. Like others in this thread, I would practice in undergrad school for hours without any increase in ability. About year 3, a miracle happened, and I leaped in ability. I changed practice habits from trying to solve all the problems in one setting, to addressing 1 or 2 problems a session, and limiting my practice time to what I could live with. For me, it was about 1 hour to 90 minutes per setting.

This made me more efficient and focused. Increased perfomance time (not practice time) also helped me focus on skills.

I agree strongly with Joe concerning the type of professionals in the field, and how you don't have to conform to their standards of professionalism.

It takes both talent and work. If you didn't have the talent and the desire to work, I doubt that you would be in a good program like the one you are in. There are plenty of people with less of both who are plodding through programs of lesser stature.

I don't know you, but you seem to have a good future in the profession by what I see from others. Good luck.

Tom

Follow Ups: