Re: need help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on April 26, 2001 at 20:51:27:

In Reply to: need help posted by Pat Rinehart on April 26, 2001 at 18:29:17:

There is more than one good *new* tuba on the market for $3000. If this is the YBB321 I wouldn't touch it. I think they are dogs. Then again I'm comparing it to my PTs. I have a friend that is selling a used YBB321 for $2500. I'm pretty sure he is negotiable. If anyone is interested let me know. If it is the YBB641 it might be worth considering. I don't know what they go for new but in the hands of someone that has put in the time they are very capable of singing.

For about the same money you could get a shiny new VMI2103 from brasswind. A few hundred more and you can grab yourself a Melton 25. Either of these would be a better choice in my opinion.

It might also be a good idea, since he's only going into highschool, to sit on the money and put part of it towards lessons instead. Or keep adding to the money set aside so that when it's time to go off to college you can get a higher quality instrument that you *know* he'll want to play for a long time. In a few years, after having lessons from a locol pro, he'll be better equiped to know what it is that he wants from a horn. He'll have a better appreciation of what he's getting. I think it makes more sense to spend more money later and get the right horn for him the first time.

food for thought.. no solid answers

good luck!
joseph

Follow Ups: