Re: Dumbest Lip Injuries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on April 27, 2001 at 11:42:11:

In Reply to: Dumbest Lip Injuries posted by SD on April 26, 2001 at 21:33:53:

Here's a winner:

I was scheduled to go to Indianapolis from with the Army recruiter from Ohio who arranged for my Tuba audition for the Army Bands, prior to "signing on the line".

The day before the audition, I was shopping with my mother for a new Tea Kettle - preferably one with a steam-activated whistle.

Being a would-be musician and all, I decided to test the whistle before buying. I flipped up the all-metal whistle/spout thingie and blew through it. (Yes, I know that that was bad manners, but we're talking $30 here! Enough to but another mouthpiece 10 years ago. Try before you buy!
The whistle was fine, but when I pulled the kettle away I gashed my upper lip and bled all over myself (and the store).

Self-inflicted AND totally avoidable. Real dumb.

I wasn't about to ask to re-schedule the audition, so I just did my best. The cut re-opened sometime early during the Hindemith & I bled, but I kept playin' (figured it was the soldierly thing to do). Then some scales & a bunch o' site-reading.
I scored okay; 'Not sure if due to my playing or just for being willing to bleed!

When the Officer asked, I think I told them I had cut my lip on a chipped drinking glass or something like that - I wasn't about to tell the real story.

FWIW,

Mark "please don't try this at home" Mazak

Follow Ups: