Re: past-owned tubas...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on April 28, 2001 at 11:31:24:

In Reply to: past-owned tubas... posted by jon schultz on April 26, 2001 at 12:51:27:

The first horn I've owned was purchased in my sophomore year in college. I bought a brand new piggy for $3200. It was a nice all around horn and it had a fairly nice sound. I used this for about 4 years. My teacher at Ithaca was recommending Rudy 3/4's to his students and I really liked all the nine or so that I played. I was now regularly playing in three orchestras and the piggy just didn't give me the big sound and projection I desired. I also noticed DOZENS of piggys being sold around that time, usually for a big loss. I sold the piggy for $1800 and bought a Rudy 3/4 for $4000. I loved that horn! It worked in the large orchestras, opera orchestra, and brass quintet. I owned that for about eight years. Since I always had a very concentrated ,centered sound I began to think I would like a larger horn. I tried a Rudy 5/4 BBb at Dillons and loved it! I kept my eyes open and noticed the regular sub for Chicago was selling his Rudy 5/4 CC for $5000. I bought it sight unseen and sold my 3/4 for $3800. I'll never forget the first time I brought it into the orchestra, for the first time I could hear my sound bouncing off the back wall and filling the hall! I still have my Rudy 5/4 and I can't imagine ever selling it. I get a lot of comments on the broad sound I can generate on it. Now, all I need is an F tuba. Hopefully soon I will have the new bell installed on my 1903 Cerveny Kaiser BBb Tuba. Four rotaries, .880 bore size. I will sell or trade this horn to aquire a fine F so if anyone has any interest let me know. Also recommendations for an F would be welcome, especially a horn that has a great high register.

Follow Ups: