Re: Re: Audition results (other instruments)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thanks for the info on April 29, 2001 at 09:38:41:

In Reply to: Re: Audition results (other instruments) posted by Andy Miller on April 28, 2001 at 23:43:08:

I'm sorry to hear that none of the finalists for the SFSO job won the job. It seems to be quite a common occurance. The Boston Symphony principal flute and principal oboe jobs went unfilled for many years. If memory serves me correctly, the Houston Symphony had a few auditions for the principal tuba job after Warren Deck won the New York Philharmonic job. I seem to remember that it came down to Fritz Kaenzig and John Stevens at the first of those auditions, and neither was chosen. Sound like a familiar scenario? And this was back in, what, 1979? Of course, it took a few auditions at the Chicago Symphony before they hired Gene Pokorny, and the same recently with Craig Morris (principal trumpet, as Rod Mathews reminded us).

The Atlanta Symphony principal trombone opening, SFSO horn openings, etc., lots of instances where a winner is not chosen. I'm happy to hear that your friend was one of the finalists! It's a terrific accomplishment in itself.

Follow Ups: