Re: Info about 4 valve sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 02, 2002 at 16:27:56:

In Reply to: Info about 4 valve sousaphones posted by Patrick on April 02, 2002 at 16:00:18:

I have a Conn 40K. It is a great tuba, when it comes to sound and way of playing.

However I would never recommend is as an instrument suited for standing playing. It is far, far too heavy for that. Even in seated playing it is a devil. I always use my Wenger chair for it.

The currently auctioned King is of smaller dimensions. Whether it delivers the magnificient sound of the 40K in combination with a potentially lighter weight is beyond my knowledge. But I doubt it.

If you are happy with the sound and playing charachteristics of your present tuba(-s), my advise rather would be to get a strong stand. I use a K&M stand for seated playing, when I play my non-sousa tubas. I hardly would trust it for standing playing.

A now retired Danish military tubist used a custom stand for standing concerts. It was made out of the bottom of a bassoon stand with a felt covered bowl mounted on the inner of the telescopic tubes. I would imagine that the bottom of a pro-grade microphone stand would do the same job as the bassoon stand.

Klaus

Follow Ups: