Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 valve BBb for a 4th grader

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on April 06, 2002 at 15:09:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: 4 valve BBb for a 4th grader posted by JCradler on April 06, 2002 at 13:14:01:

I think making the switch to CC is a very viable option. Kids can grasp an amazing amount of technical knowledge if you don't make a big deal out of it. If they think it's "normal" they seem to have a much easier time accepting it and picking up on it than those of us that have learned how to over-complicate and over-analyze everything.

One place where you might have some success with the parents in determining which horn to purchase is to take into account the resale value of the horn 6 years down the road. If you're already pretty sure that there will be another purchase made before college, it might be in the parents best interests to purchase an instrument now that will be of sufficient value in 6 years that it will make the step up to a very nice CC tuba a lot less painful financially.

The Werils are quality horns, but will they hold a decent value over 6 years? Since they're fairly new to the market, we just don't know.

For that reason, I think that the King has the greatest potential return on investment for the money. It should hold its value quite well if it's taken care of, and it's a horn that would work very well in a college situation if he chose to keep it for college. And if he can play a PT-1 now, he shouldn't have much trouble with a King.

If you do decide to go to CC, I would discourage the temptation to go with a large-bore piggy. Those things can be a bear to fill up as an adult. For a CC, I would say a Mir. S-186 or a small Conn.

Just my opinions...

Steve

Follow Ups: