Re: Re: Re: Re: An interesting tuba on auction site

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 19, 2002 at 14:32:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: An interesting tuba on auction site posted by Vince on April 19, 2002 at 13:31:17:

This tuba is not a real double tuba. It has two sets of valves, both of which are inline with each other. Any of the seven valves can be brought into play singly or in combination at any time.

One set of three valves has tubing lengths for an F tuba, and the other set has tubing lengths for a BBb tuba. The fourth valve on the left (if I'm remembering the picture) hand is not a switch valve, but it is a valve that adds enough tubing to bring the fundamental pitch from F down to Bb. Then, you use the other valves which are tuned for Bb use.

So, it is a true 7-valve tuba, not really a double tuba.

I expect it works much better as an F than as a Bb, because the Bb would require quite a long cylindrical tubing, which probably makes it somewhat stuffy with the Bb valve is added in addition to the valves intended for Bb use. On the other hand, it seems to me that this would provide a similar tuba to a Viennese F tuba, but with fingerings that would be easier for most tuba players to understand. Heck, even I could play this tuba without too many mental leaps.

Rick "who thinks this is so simple that if it worked well it would be common" Denney

Follow Ups: