help me pick a euph?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 22, 2002 at 13:55:32:

I'm in the market for a euph for my son. I'm buying. Price is a consideration, but not the major consideration. [I've posed versions of this question before...push is now coming to shove]

Let's start with an "obvious" choice, and consider variations from there.
A new Yamaha YEP-641S. This seems like the right fit (see below for details on his history and likely future). The price is within range, but I wouldn't sneer at doing better.

So...how about a used YEP-641S. This would be more than adequate (in my opinion), and save a bundle - if I could find one in excellent condition at a good price.

Saving some time...for reasons best not re-hashed, I've ruled out Willson and Besson. That seems to leave the Miraphone 1258 and Meinl Weston 451. These have a price advantage over a new YEP-642S; I need expert opinion on whether the extra $$ is truly worth it, for him.

So...I need to outline the intended player. He started in 7th grade on a King 2280 and switched two years ago to a VMI 3171 (both school owned). He's done the local Honor Band and All-State bits, and spent a week at IU last summer. This year he was first chair in the second band at AllState (in our system, that means he was 2nd at the regional audition and 1st among the 8 2nd-place finishers at the state audition). He's very likely to be a CompSci/Math student at the U of Rochester next year, taking lessons at Eastman and playing in the U of R (not Eastman) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (auditions willing...). He is very UNlikely to be a music major, but I suppose anything is possible.

He thinks he needs: silver, large shank, 3+1 compensating.

A trip to "play them all and pick one" (there, now no one has to give that advice) is possible, but would add significantly to the cost. I'm not convinced that it would be worth it (but we *do* have family in NJ, Matt...)

Generic advice should probably go here, but I'm especially interested in finding one or two people who would be interested in a private e-mail discussion of the finer points.

Follow Ups: