Re: Air Force Band Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on April 23, 2002 at 13:26:47:

In Reply to: Air Force Band Audition posted by John on April 23, 2002 at 12:39:30:

If that is true, I would say that is probably a very, very smart thing to do on the audition. I AM NOT SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF THE US ARMY BAND, but I would think that would be a good thing for any fulltime Sousaphone auditionee to have to do. Auditioning for a ceremonial spot on CC tuba and F tuba, playing band tunes and recital quality solos can give some people visions of grandeur. Making the auditionee face the reality of the job as being nearly 100% Sousaphone will better instill what the job is really about. I am not saying that people are deceptive in other audition methods, but this seems like a particularly outfront, honest approach.

When I auditioned for my job, SGM Tilbury was clear in that it was a marching band position. He stated that point at the audition several times to the canidates. But hearing it in words at the audition and wrapping a Sousaphone around your body and playing some marches at the audition are two different things.

Kuddos to whoever in the Air Force Band came up with that idea!

sean

Follow Ups: