Re: Schilke Hell. vs Schilke Hell. II?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nice MP. on April 24, 2002 at 08:54:51:

In Reply to: Schilke Hell. vs Schilke Hell. II? posted by Bill on April 22, 2002 at 07:47:24:

The Helleberg is kind of a standard funnellish MP from Mr. Schilke's early production days, I believe. Mr. Jacobs may have provided a sample?? The rim is too wide (for me)

The Helleberg II was started some years ago by Mr. Laskey and Rex Martin. It is a fairly big MP with a somewhat narrow, but comfortable rim. It seems to work well with most full-size tubas. The Geib Helleberg to which you refer is a hybrid. Mine is labelled Geib II. The geib part denotes the cup ( a bit more shallow and rounded or bowl-bottomed than a Hellebergfunnel ) and the rim is from the Helleberg II. I enjoy using this mouthpiece in a quintet situation. I believe that it helps achieve more focus and clarity. Both mouthpieces work well for me -- main tubas here are CC Mira 186 and 184. The 184 certainly has all the clarity one could want in a CC, and the Geib II matches for me. (If you order, consider shank size! My old mirafones like a smaller "A" shank.) All the best.

Follow Ups: