Re: Playing outdoors to improve tone quality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on April 27, 2002 at 22:23:42:

In Reply to: Playing outdoors to improve tone quality posted by Joey Moulton on April 27, 2002 at 17:01:50:

As a staff member of a well respected top 12 drum corps, I say spending several hours everyday all summer long can be very beneficial to you. BUT...only with the right staff that has the right approach to playing the horn. The staff I work with, our arranger has his BME from Northern Colorado and is now a full time marching band/ corps arranger, our caption head is a music doctoral student at Kansas, as for the rest of the brass staff lets see... we have the trumpet player from the CBS orchestra (Letterman), his brother who is an equally talented musician, a NYC freelance tubist who has his masters in tuba performance from Northwestern, a band director from Florida who has his masters from North Texas, a BME student at UMass Lowell, a BME student at George Mason, and myself a recent Oklahoma State BME graduate who is about to become a Texas band director. Our staff doesn't teach how to blow your brains out.

I have seen and know of many bad brass staffs out there. Fortunately most of those are a thing of the past and now we mainly have degreed educators teaching corps. Just be sure and do your homework before joining a corps. Also, best of luck getting into one this summer as it is getting very late in the recruiting season.

If you want some info about corps and whotnot, just email me off the board.

Follow Ups: