Re: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on April 28, 2002 at 03:26:14:

In Reply to: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do posted by Tony E on April 27, 2002 at 23:32:04:

When you consider that other York copies are costing $13,000 to 20,000 new, I don't think that the Holton is a bad buy at $5000. I personally don't see the purpose of spending $3000 for the overhaul. If it plays good and sounds good leave it the way it is. I don't really understand your "personal discipline" issue of having only one BBb. To me I don't see how you can justify spending $5000, plus $3000 for the overhaul of the Holton; but yet you wouldn't be able to justify buying the Holton and not overhauling it yet, and keeping the 2341. The amount of money you'd have invested is about the same, yet you'd have 2 horns, and more versatility. None of us amateurs need more then one horn. But when it comes down to it, none of us amateurs NEED any horn. But we do enjoy playing the tubas we have so we own them for our enjoyment. I think it would make more sense financially and personally to decide on how much you want to invest in your hobby, and whether it is one BBb you have or a dozen you have for that amount of money be happy.

Follow Ups: