Re: Looking for opinions on Eb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on April 03, 2003 at 21:59:27:

In Reply to: Looking for opinions on Eb's posted by Adam on April 03, 2003 at 19:22:35:

I can only give an opinion based on what works for me. I think that Besson 983 is one of the best "out of the box" Eb tubas I've ever played - I really like mine. Listen to Patrick Sheridan, and see if that's the sound you're looking for. Pat meant it to be a bass tuba, and not to sound/perform like a 3/4 CC. I know, because we talked briefly about this subject. The Willson is sized more like a 3/4 CC. I've only played one (I bought it, sight unseen), and I didn't care for it all. While it had a slightly fatter low range, I found the high range to be easier on the 983. Then again, keep in mind that I have a much stronger low range than high range. I also didn't like the intonation problems that I had noticed on the Willson right away. The Besson is pretty much on the money for me. But more than anything else, I had some severe ergonomic issues with the Willson. That was my main reason for trading it for a 983. The rest of the issues I'm sure I could have worked through - eventually. I also don't care for stove pipe bells - I don't like them any more than low, squat bells. The bell on the Besson is just right for me.

Now, before you take any of this to heart, keep in mind that the person I traded with is perfectly happy with the Willson. I was very depressed with it around. If I had kept it, I would have had the leadpipe lowered (it pointed straight into my forehead), the fifth valve trigger moved forward (my thumb could hardly reach it), and the fifth valve tubing extended to sound the low A-natural: an augmented 4th, just like on the Gronitz. If I were to revisit this horn, I would probably look for a used 184 or Rudi 3/4 instead. Those are just my feelings on the issue, based upon my one unfortunate experience. Then again, Jay Bertolet, who is far more professional than I am, is a fan of this horn.

The only other Eb I've tried recently is the Gronitz. It blows very well, and has a fat low register. I also liked the fact that the 5th valve is/was tuned down an augmented 4th - A natural, in other words. That made the low range fingerings fairly easy, and fairly well in-tune when using the 2nd valve slide in conjunctin. However, it has a very low, squat, pancake type bell. I found it to be a somewhat bright sounding horn for me. In fact, for me, it was a bit "shouty" in quality. I'm told that that this horn was actually designed for Swedish military bands - marching and horses and such. I would take this horn over the Willson, unless I were willing to make the necessary modifications to the Willson. Other people may feel differently.

Just from what I've been reading on this site, it sounds as though the Perantucci may be the dark horse among Eb's. Check the archives on that horn. As for the M-W, it appears that there were one or two generations of that horn that had some severe tuning problems.

Good luck, and try before you buy,

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: