Fountains

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. Ricer on April 04, 2003 at 01:25:38:

Hello, all,
I am playing fountains of Rome with an orchestra for the first time and was wondering if you guys could give me some thoughts. . .

Realistically, what dynamic should be played when you come in at rehearsal #11? It is marked fff, but so is the rest of the tuba part and it should build.

The bar before rehearsal 13 there are two sixteenth notes (A and F#) These are part of a four note run in the bass trombone part. To me, it would make sense to take them down an octave so that you are not jumping down a 9th to the low E or to take them out entirely, since they are doubled and there is a lot going on. Are either of those valid options?

With all this in mind, how would you play this on an audition? A solid mf with a good sound seems to cut fine in rehearsal, but this seems to be the contest of who can play the low E the loudest. . . could I do the A, F# and octave down in an audition? could I drop them? Would the committee be impressed that I understand the music as it fits in the orchestra or just mad that I changed the part? I really have trouble making that E speak immediatly jumping down from the F#

thanks for any thoughts/opinions/experiences,
T. J. Ricer

www.hometown.aol.com/bubbatuba

Follow Ups: