Re: band director needs help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on April 04, 2003 at 14:34:21:

In Reply to: band director needs help posted by Ari Contzius on April 04, 2003 at 13:26:27:

Yamaha 105 for the smallest elementary students, very small and light. The metal is thin and dents easily however.

(There is a new Weril which is a similar horn and is less expensive and getting good reviews, but I have never played one personally)

Actually for my elementary students I use old sousas on Wenger sousa chairs. I can hear them better due to the forward bell. Also this way the kids do not have to carry them around and they don't get banged up so easily.

King 1135 is a bit larger, if you start fourth graders it could be too big but it is fine for most 5th and 6th graders.

Conn 5J is a small 4/4 four valved horn that would be good for older MS and small HS kids.

King 2341 would be my choice for a solid HS four valved tuba.

Another good quality HS tuba would be a Miraphone 186 if you would rather go with rotor valves, but I still prefer the King (Not only do I like the sound better, but I also like to buy American!)

For Marching Band King sousaphones are very good. I don't know the model number, but they only make one brass sousa). The Conn 20K are really big and a bit overkill for most HS players. I prefer the sound of sousaphones to the convertible model tubas. However, there is a large Yamaha convertible if you go that route. I think it is a 201M or something. Don't get the little convertibles, they are too small and are too easily overblown when kids try to get loud on them.

ken "tuba playing band director" k

Follow Ups: