Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: band director needs help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike I on April 07, 2003 at 11:49:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: band director needs help posted by Rick Denney on April 07, 2003 at 08:41:36:

Rick,

I'm your age so my HS days were (ahem - a while ago) and I actually live in a different town that is close to where I grew up, but with a different school system. Both communities however, share the same type of committment. That being said, while I was in school we actually had a couple players buy their own Rudy's. These they kept at home for their own personal playing, concerts etc. I don't think it made a difference if you owned your own horn or not - most knew the difference between a German & American sound. I think you would agree that Rudy's & Conn 20j's while both BAT are very different horns. Back then I don't think I knew any student playing CC instruments. Fast forward to today and my current town where I play in a 90 piece community band (created back in 1859, residents voted a band tax on themselves during the depression -1931 and they pay the players) we have had over the last 10 years about 10 HS students of which 6 have bought their own CC horns. The horns have run the gamut from Miraphones, Kalisons, and Conn 52j's. These kids are exceptional players in my opinion. I'm constantly amazed when I hear how good some of the HS jazz bands and wind symphonies are.

I would certainly agree that the the parents, the kids committment as well as the private lesson teachers are the most important things. A good horn can't make a good player but a bad horn certainly can't help. When I was in HS I had no idea that Rudy's were handcrafted and more expensive then the venerable Miraphone 186 which a lot of schoools had then and which I envied because I liked the nickel garland on the top of the bell as well as the ones I played were indeed excellent horns. I certainly would agree that Rudy's are probably over the top cost wise for most schools and if you read my original post you will see that I suggested Miraphones or King 2341's as suitable instruments that would work well, hold up well and have easy availability of replacement parts.

Mike (grateful to have lived in communities that support the arts) I

Follow Ups: