Re: Re: Re: Re: Repair estimate

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on April 09, 2003 at 20:02:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Repair estimate posted by Dean on April 09, 2003 at 19:11:57:

I sold a 99+% perfect 2900S outfit recently for $3500 with a brand new case, and a brand new Mead mouthpiece.

In addition to the new stuff above, I sprung for a new (silver plated, of course) mouthpipe assembly and did a (luckily indeed, as these can be squirrely) "perfect" job of installing it with no evidence whatsoever of its replacement. The original mouthpipe wasn't damaged, but was dezincified ("red rotted"). I also sprung for the water reservoirs (both of them, in silver) which were missing. Of course, I also tossed in about $20 worth of cleaning/maintenance accessories which folks like to receive with an instrument.

Prior to selling it, I bought this instrument for about $2600 and spent (see above) about $350 - $400 (wholesale costs) on parts and accessories + developed about $300 worth of minor dent removal, mouthpipe installation, interior cleaning, and exterior polishing. (I must always include the value of labor when I evaluate a sale. Otherwise, I can end up tricking myself into simply "buying a job", and not making anything off of an investment.)

Subtracting my costs of putting the instrument in the "99+%" condition and outfitting it, my "profit" on the $3500 price was about $200.

I seriously doubt that I could have sold it for more - considering the general market for used euphoniums, even in its condition. You might want to step back and reevaluate your pricing. If your instrument is in absolutely superb ready-to-play condition (spotless inside and out with all accessories and a snazzy mouthpiece, etc.) your price (with the negligible crack) is probably just about right.

Typically, when advice or comments are made regarding pricing of instruments, flames occur. Flames under my post are of no concern to me. Hopefully though, my outline of my recent selling experience might give you some insight as to condition vs. price vs. market - regarding a used 2900S outfit.

Follow Ups: