Re: Re: Re: Re: How to stuff a PT-6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on April 14, 2003 at 20:16:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: How to stuff a PT-6 posted by tubagrow on April 14, 2003 at 10:14:38:

A 10-15% change in sound is considerable. Removing the lacquer might give a mental change of 10-15%, which may in turn alter the approach one make towards the instrument therefore temperarily affecting the sound quality for the better or worser. The mechanical changes from the lacquer removal though will most likely make 0-.0001% actual change in sound quality.

I am not sure where the idea got started that lacquer removal improved sound quality. I would guess it began when someone noticed a professional brass musician with an instrument with most of its lacquer missing and put 2 and 2 together and got 10,000. Eureka! That professional musician must sound that good because he removed his lacquer. I gotta be like Mike. If I put on the shoes I too can score 50 points in a game.

The reality is that some experienced players play unlacquered horns because the horn has been played on for countless hours and the wear of doing so has eroded the lacquer coating. Since the lacquer is there to keep the horn shiny and to prevent your hands from turning green, many people could care less about this aspect so they continue to play their "ugly" horns.

The "ugly" didn't make them sound the way they do. The "ugly" was simply a side effect and not the cause.

sean "wishing he had not picked on Rick" chisham

Follow Ups: